Telemedicine support service for care homes
The first phase of a new telemedicine service for selected care homes (both with and without nursing care) in Hampshire has been launched by Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
The service will provide instant advice to care homes for residents who experience a sudden and unexpected health need between 8am-8pm seven days a week initially, enabling residents to receive faster care in the comfort of their own home. The care homes that are part of the first phase of this launch can be viewed via this map. As the service grows it will be accessible to care homes 24/7 across Hampshire and the Isle of Wight.
The service will use Microsoft Teams (a secure digital audio and visual system) as a means to provide advice. Care homes can contact the service for a range of sudden and unexpected health events such as: an elevated RESTORE2 score, falls/trauma, new confusion, pain management, breathlessness and suspected infections.
A number of helpful resources have been produced:
- It’s free
- It’s open seven days a week between 8am – 8pm
- Care homes don’t need any special equipment or software to access the service
- Just call on 0300 772 7765, if necessary the service will send the care home an invitation for a video consultation
Why use this service:
- A&E can be a very disorientating and dangerous experience for the elderly. Hospital based care often comes with risk that may outweigh the benefits for people in their later years
- Immediate, safer access to experiences professionals
- Individuals’ wishes are better respected in a familiar and safe environment when approaching the end life.