To arrange a leg Doppler scan, please place a request via ICE which includes completion of a mandatory Wells Score followed by a call to Radiology – Vascular Ultrasound on 02381 205834 for an appointment.
There is a Page Tab on the left of the GP Radiology screen on ICE called DVT requests.
- Scans are available Monday – Friday 9.00 – 16.00
- For OOH please place a request on ICE and the patient will be contacted with an appointment the next working day.
- If the scan is negative the result will be sent to the surgery electronically to arrange further review if appropriate. If the scan is positive the patient will automatically be reviewed on Same Day Emergency Care (SDEC; formerly known as Ambulatory Emergency Care) and anti-coagulation will be commenced if appropriate.
- Suspected upper limb DVTs and patients who require trolleys will need to be discussed via phone with Same Day Emergency Care (SDEC) nurses via 02381 206284 or 02381 208223
If the patient is unlikely to have a Doppler performed on the same day, then they should be started on either Rivaroxaban or Enoxaparin as appropriate.
- Rivaroxaban is licensed for use prior to diagnostic imaging and offers a useful alternative to subcutaneous low molecular weight heparin.
However, it does not suit everyone, the following groups are excluded:
- Patients with an eGFR of <30mls/min
- Active cancer
- Compliance issues – it is difficult to monitor compliance
- Severe liver disease
- Extremes of weight <40kg or >120kg
DVT investigations are requested through ICE which includes completion of a mandatory Wells Score then either a D-dimer or a Doppler.