23.3.20 Changes to E&D arrangements for Salisbury Hospital
From 24.3.20, Salisbury District Hospital will be putting in place some alternative arrangements within our Emergency Department to manage Covid-19 symptomatic patients separately to all other attendances. This note is to summarise the arrangements and Salisbury District Hospital will continue to update primary care as its plans are put in place.
The aim of the reconfiguration is to create dedicated assessment and treatment areas for patients exhibiting Covid-19 symptoms, and that we maintain our other A&E services separately.
We will be:
- Moving the minors stream (minor injuries, walk ins) from its current location in Emergency Department to reception in the adjacent Fracture Clinic. Access to this area will be via the Main hospital entrance only.
- Moving the majors bays in to the minors area in main ED. Access to this area will be via the main ED entrance – for both ambulance conveyances and walk ins. Any patients arriving here suitable for the minors stream will be redirected.
- Re-purposing the majors area as the zone for respiratory (Covid-19 related) attendances, either conveyed by ambulance or walk in. There will be a separate reception and waiting area for this. Access to this area will be via the current Ambulance entrance.
- Maintaining separate access to Radiology for non-respiratory patients.
- The resuscitation bays will remain in place and available for use for patients requiring intensive support.
- The current paediatric assessment area will be closed with patients likely requiring admission being seen in the Sarum Paediatric outpatient area – this pathway is to be confirmed.
- Seeking to deliver the GP Out of Hours service aligned and located with the Salisbury Walk In Centre and Millstream Medical Centre.
- Maintaining, as far as possible, separate routes for patients moving from ED (respiratory side) to the COVID-19 ward (Farley).
We are updating signage and our communication channels to reflect the new entry points and separation of patients – I will update as this progresses but please could you cascade this information as appropriate.