27.3.20 South East Regional Dentistry COVID 19 Plan
Changes to Primary Dental Care services: General Dental Practices and Community Dental Services.
All routine, non-urgent dental care including orthodontics are stopped and deferred until advised otherwise. All practices should have established (independently or by collaboration with others) a remote urgent care service, providing telephone triage for their patients with urgent needs during usual working hours, and whenever possible treating with:
• Antimicrobial means where appropriate
If the patient’s condition cannot be managed by these means, they may be referred to a local urgent dental care service.
The public are advised
· To first check their local dental practice website, or call the practice for self-care advice or signposting..
· Call their practice or signposted service for telephone triage and possible referral to an urgent dental care service.
· The public may contact 111 for advice on self-care and guidance to services.
· The public are not to attend emergency departments unless told to do so or they have a true life threatening emergency.
Key task and finish groups are currently being set up to rapidly implement safe urgent dental care services in the south east dentistry region.